Skip to main content

suggesting is NOT selling


People and companies want to buy from people that they trust.  The individual which possesses the broadest set of knowledge will gain the most credibility and as a result yield high levels of trust.  When I was in the field I definitely had the ear of the customer and for the most part discussed areas that needed improvement or replacement. At no moment was I ever, at least in my mind, selling. Instead, as I think back on those days, I believe I was simply "suggesting". Take an immediate need, add in a trusted advisor and a credible suggestion, you will most likely get a sale. However, this is not selling.



From my non-salesman perspective I would sum up the following related to the sales process; sales is not a single event but instead a sequence of connection points which create a positive experience that leads to a purchase. Over the years I've been fortunate to have known many different types of salespeople in different industries and I believe that they all are masterful in their own ways. Many are career-based salespeople which started in sales and remain in sales today. Others started in different parts of the business, sometimes in the field and sometimes from the office. The best have been those with a clear understanding, not necessarily all of the details, of the problem their product is designed to solve. Often it seems logical when you have an  extroverted field person that you should start to work with them to become a salesperson. While this may be a great opportunity for both the individual and the company it should be approached with caution and a deliberate plan of development. Unfortunately it is often seen that the move from the office to the field or the field to the office does not go as smoothly as logic might suggest. Mechanisms that you can put in place to capture and share client and domain knowledge from all within your organization will pay off in spades. 



So who really is your best salesperson, I reckon the one that can close the deal!



-----

Next post:  is any "one" worker an expert at everything?

-----

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

entusiastic about preventative maintenance

Why do I really care if my field technicians are enthusiastic or not? When you look at a person's work output, as directly related to workforce sciences, you come up with three primary ingredients required to achieve your desired results.   These ingredients are; attitudes, attributes, and capabilities and when mixed properly with enabling tools can yield unbelievable outputs. So what does any of this have to do with routine maintenance? If your maintenance routines actually become way too routine then pretty soon performance will be replaced with complacency. In order to keep any piece of equipment running as trouble-free as possible the maintenance performed, and the thoroughness of the inspection and tasks at hand, have a direct impact on the asset's life expectancy.   There are some strategies that help service organizations keep the enthusiasm at all-time highs. Switch techs from time to time :   One of the best ways to ensure maintenance is being performed...

why transform?

Why do I want to change, who said anything was wrong with my stack of papers and sea of Excel files?   We solve problems, that is a key characteristic of any successful service organization, if it isn't broke why fix it?   Often, when discussing a transformation from paper or cobbled together systems to a cohesive digital approach, folks struggle with the gap between what they currently do and how digital tools can help.   You really need to look at where the pain points are in your organization and how these compare to your business objectives.   Consider writing down these points on the whiteboard in no particular order, spend a few days shuffling and consolidating into a prioritized list.   Once you have the "why" and the "what" identified, the old remaining step is "how".   Some of the most popular observations over the years have been; Slipping through the cracks :   you know, not the major muscle movements, instead those little i...

empathy and service, required?

When you think about the definition of empathy, which is to understand and share feelings of another, you may be curious why this would be included in posts regarding the operation of a service business. When I think about empathy from a service technicians point of view, and one who spent most of his career troubleshooting problems, empathy for me is as strong as one of my previous posts on LSD. The closer a person can get to understanding the initial design intent of a control system or operating environment, the better off they will be in suggesting potential modifications, repairs or updates. I never really thought about the sales side of the equation until my later years, and of course as you can imagine empathy plays a significant role with a salesperson, the closer you get to understanding the customers challenges, the higher the probability of close. Over the years, while interacting with many different service providers, I have discovered that sometimes people just g...